Wednesday 28 March 2012

Stop. Reflect

I have kept myself busy today and now that it is quiet, I can reflect on today.

Today was a great morning, explaining some of my Speech and Language Therapy resources to the teachers in the school. It was great to again, impart some of what I know and have learnt in the UK, to others who don’t know. It is part of why I came here. Following this we had a great time of conversation and laughing and joking together. I really liked the fact that I could now understand conversations and have enough Spanish to join in.

2 of the younger children washing each others feet

Can you guess who won the game!?
After a quick stop for lunch, I went back out, to Orphaids. This week I am helping at an afternoon club. The kids love it; games, stories, craft etc. They are all so excited and it is infectious. Tiring, but good! We are working through the story of Jesus, leading up to his death and resurrection; the Easter story. Today we washed each other’s feet and thought about the last supper Jesus shared with his friends.
Banner that was made the first day


Now, in a time of quiet, I can really think about my friends and family at home. The struggles that they are going through. The challenges life presents to them. It seems like daily news that another person has cancer or illnesses. Treatments that have been tried, Surgeries undertaken, Doctor’s reports that no more medical treatment can be offered. People struggling, new illnesses occurring, broken ankles, flooded kitchens, and struggles at work. Life is not easy. It is not easy for people here in Ecuador. Equally, it is not easy in England either.
I left my work this morning, with a real sense of wondering why I am leaving at the end of April. I so want to stay longer working in this school; working with the teachers, working together to help these children have a better life. Now at the end of the day, I wonder if some of why I need to go home is to support a few people? Just being with people, visiting people, drinking tea, chatting about life, asking questions, encouraging, supporting and just being there. I guess it doesn’t matter where you are, you can be an encouragement? 

No comments:

Post a Comment