Monday 27 February 2012

Sunday 26th Feb


2 months exactly. I only have 2 months left in Ecuador. Such mixed emotions. I spoke with a friend this weekend. She has her Dad visiting her. Someone asked him if he misses his daughter. He talked about how you can not imagine what it is like to have your daughter so far from home. I made a choice to leave home and come so far away from my family for this year. As hard as it was to leave friends and family, I never really thought about it being hard for my family.

There are so many times which I realise how far I am from home. For example:

-       When I am the only white person on the bus 

-       When I drink hot chocolate with lumps of cheese in it

-       When I see a mouse in my bedroom (I have been thinking which is worse… having a mouse running around your room or cockroaches!?)

-       When I have to hide my phone down my top to stop it being robbed

-       When someone asks me if, because I have green eyes, if everything I see is green

-       When the bus is crammed full of people that the doors can not be closed

-       When people slit your bag with a razor blade they have hidden between their fingers

-       When I am offered corn on the cob, yoghurts, nuts, crisps, coca cola, meat, toasted maize etc on the bus

-       When I see a man on a motorbike, with his 2 children and wife (who is doing her hair) on the back of the bike

Life is so different here. I know I am going to miss so many things of Ecuador. Today I spoke with a friend and some family members. It made me so excited to see them again.


No comments:

Post a Comment