Wednesday 30 November 2011

All in all, today has been a pretty good day

I love the fact that a day here will NEVER go as planned. Something will happen that is unexpected. At times it can be frustrated especially when you don’t achieve all you planned to do but other days, the surprises throughout the day make the day really good!

Today, Tuesday, as I write this thinking back upon the day, has been really good. As my swimming lessons have been permanently cancelled (very sad face) I have taken up jogging in the mornings, around the park near my house. I am not a fan of jogging. My legs hate it and I don’t like anything about it, but I do feel a whole load better afterwards. So after breakfast, I started work in the special school. Whislt thinking about what therapy I would do with the children that day, all of a sudden the teacher/director of the school fainted. I then had to try and pre-occupy the older class of children. We played a number matching game, one that was donated by friends in England and the children loved it. We must have played it for nearly an hour! Although it was hard work keeping the children focused some of the time, i enjoyed that time with that class. Afterwards we then went to break and we have introduced some role play activities into the break time and the children really enjoy it. A couple of them pretend to own a shop and the rest of us buy things. It is so great for communication between the group. The rest of the morning we completed Christmas activities (it still feels so weird preparing for Christmas as each day gets hotter and hotter, rather than colder and colder like in the UK).

I had lunch in town and happend to meet a lady there who I work with in a children’s group in Orphaids. It made me realise that I really love bumping into people that I know here and it makes me feel more at home.

Afterwards, I walked to the Baptist church school and waited for the children to turn up for their therapy, and the 2 children didn’t, which was annoying but I felt I used the time productively. I studied a few bible passages in Mark and was reminded of how amazing Jesus’ miracles were. I then met 2 friends for a drink, bought a secret Santa present, walked home and got ready for an exercise class. It was brutal. It is a mix of aerobics and dancing. I obviously stuck out like a sore thumb, being so tall and white and then increasingly glowing red as the class progressed. The Ecuadorians seem to have this inbuilt ability to dance well, right from birth it seems. The English don’t seem to have it so much! So after that I came home tired but feeling like it had been a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment