Tuesday 2 August 2011

Communication breakdown! 18.7.11

So today I had a funny example of a communication breakdown! Fortunately it didn’t make me feel sad, like other times when I have not understood or people have not had the time or patience to explain something to me!
Today I was going to meet the director of a school, attached to the church. I thought we had arranged that I would meet with her to discuss what Speech Therapy is and that after the holidays I would work with the children. So I arrived and met her and then it was soon explained to me that I had 6-8 children to see! I wasn’t expected to assess them, just get to know them! Eek! I wasn’t prepared but I did my usual thing of saying, “Yes that’s fine, no problem!” when I was thinking, “I don’t know what to say” I didn’t have the time to think about it, too much, fortunately!
It was a real example of TOTALLY relying on God!
So I saw the kids, worked out some of their problems. I didn’t understand everything but I understood the main parts. Some children I know how I can help them and others are just a bit tricky! Some have Autism, or difficulties with tongue and mouth movements, some have short attention spans and poor memory. Some are simpler e.g. those with difficulties saying certain sounds but our slightly different to our sounds. 
What a funny afternoon and even funnier, I am going back for more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment