Tuesday 14 June 2011

Taken for granted

I have realised that I write a lot about things that have made a big impact to me or about something where I have learnt a lot. Not all of my days here in Ecuador are that exciting! I wonder what you imagine my life to be like here!? Some days are very repetitive and not a lot happens! Some days are hard work and others are just fine! The majority of my time I am learning Spanish. Whether I have a conversation in the house or am sat in a lesson, that is pretty much the focus of my day!
There are many things here that initially were very different, have now become normal. For example, the light in my bedroom flickers. It flashes on and off ALL the time.
The light switches in my house have a little dull light below them. Very helpful I think because it can be hard to find the light switch when it is dark.
Very often there is a skill in getting hot water out of the shower. You have to practise the technique of listening carefully for when the electricity kicks in to give you hot water.
I have practised pouring milk from bags rather than plastic bottles.
I am getting better at walking past all the dogs in my neighbourhood, especially the big black flea ridden one next door, without them barking at me.
I have learnt to take my sunglasses with me all the time.
I realise the importance of ducking under the low material roofs, when going to a market.
I know that I really don’t like meat and could live without it, especially the meat hanging in the market in the Equator sun all day.
When walking past the security guards in the compound that I live, I always ensure that I am first to say hello to them, before they do. There is one in particular who talks so fast and I can never understand all he says! I think he says “hello”, “good morning” or “good afternoon”, “how are you?” “what’s you name” all at the same time and I always feel foolish for just responding to one part “fine thanks!” “thank you”, “Amy” “good morning!”
I know the best place to sit in the church to get the best of the internet Wi-Fi.
I have got used to not having a duvet and having only a blanket.
I know how best to shut my door, ever though it is not hung completely right and so it doesn’t shut!
I always close my eyes when I plug anything into a plug socket, so I don’t see the spark.
I know that however hard I try, I will never blend in!

No comments:

Post a Comment