Saturday 30 April 2011

Safetly on Ecuadorian soil.

Hola! I’m here! After an early 3am start to Wednesday, I eventually arrived in Ecuador 11:30pm England time. I don’t think I have ever felt so squashed in on a plane! They always make you walk through First Class and Business Class before your arrival to the Economy class. You walk past lovely big wide, long chairs that extend into beds with a Champaign arrival and through to your class. You may as well sit on top of each other or sit on the floor. It would probably be more comfortable!

So, I arrive into Quito, a busy bustling City. The initial smell is familiar, reminding me of Nigeria, being far from home but knowing that I’m here with a purpose and have a small part to play here.

Friendly welcomes, rice and meat to eat, little Spanish understood, smiles and nods, more rice and meat to eat and then bed! My first few days I have met many people, visited many parts of Quito, getting my passport stamped by many Ecuadorian authorities (getting my VISA in London was just the beginning….that just allowed me into the Country!), walking /exploring in the morning and noon, baking sun and hiding from the rain and storms in the afternoon. When it rains, it rains. Initially when I arrived, my bags were in the back of a truck when the rains came. ALL my belongings became soaked so now as I sit here writing, everything is drying outside! I had to peg everything out. I have quickly learnt that I am going to be totally taken out of my comfort zone and learn to be vulnerable.

Quito is a packed City, full of people and cars but set in the heart of VERY beautiful scenary and mountains.

On Monday I begin Spanish lessons and move in with an Ecuadorian family, who have a 6 year old son. They do not speak English and I don’t speak much Spanish. This will be an interesting experience but good for my Spanish! Good job I have my speech and language therapy experience, so I am used to communicating with people who don’t talk very much!

I’m a visitor in this beautiful and friendly country and look forward to sharing more about it with you.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy, Mum and Dad have kept me updated with your news, but decided to reply to all your observations so far! Arriving in a totally different environment to what you're used to is such a culture shock. Our lives in the West although rich in what we have around us, we have so many pressures in other areas of our lives. We find ourselves not relying totally on God, which is what people who have little do and are so good at it. God bless x x x

    ReplyDelete